I was friends with Billy Bob on Facebook yesterday, but now he is gone. What happened? This is a question a lot of people ask themselves in this the age of Facebook. Why was I unfriended? There are several reasons this might happen to you, and all of them are non sinister or your fault. In truth most of them are your fault, but if you are going to work it on Facebook, you should go ahead and own it.
Here are some of the most common reasons your friend list might shrink.
- The person left Facebook. I know it seems crazy, but some people don’t like Facebook.
- You aren’t really friends. There is a difference between real friends and online strangers in the night.
- The purge. We’ve all probably had a day where we’ve decided we just have too many friends on our list.
- Accidental unfriending. It happens.
- You post too much. It’s not fun when someone dominates your wall with information you aren’t interested in reading.
- Strong opinions. Sometimes very strong opinions turn people off. I have several trigger words that are automatic unfriends. I don’t want to read about certain things. My wall, my choice.
- Games. This drives me nuts. I could care less about your slot machine, farm, horse, zuma’s revenge or any other thing you are playing. It’s cool that you play, I just don’t want to hear about it ALL THE TIME. FYI, I do know how to block games, but when there’s a new one each day even that becomes tiresome.
- You get “hacked” every other day. I don’t want to click on your shocking video.
- People don’t like your friends. If your friends comment on others posts, especially in an antagonizing way, it’s guilt by association.
- You don’t post enough. Trimming the dead wood.
- Your friend moved to this cool new site called MySpace.
- It’s also possible that you are just boring or annoying 🙂