It’s that time of year again, the time when we get to make a list of all the things we’re thankful for. That list is coming up tomorrow. Today, we’re going to talk about a much more interesting list — The Turkeys.
My criteria for turkeys changes from year to year. If I was following my own rules every year, I would probably have appeared on this list. Of course, this is my blog so that will never happen!
In no particular order, my turkeys of 2009:
- Bernie Madoff.
- Twitter Spam.
- Cell phone carriers who continue to try and charge outrageous fees for data. This is the most archaic business model out there. Down with cell phones!
- Online movies. Why can’t I watch a first-run movie in my home? With two young children, it’s hard to get to the movies. I would pay $20 for the chance to watch a first day release at home.
- Cable providers charging $5 for old movies I can get at Redbox for $1. What’s up with that, Verizon? I hear DirectTV may be worse.
- Not following through. If you’re going to do something, do it. Don’t make promises you can’t keep — or have no intention of keeping. Talk is cheap.
- ESPN “suspending” my favorite writer, Bill Simmons, for a Tweet they disliked. I’ll be canceling my ESPN Insider subscription in protest.
- Apple. The Apple crew has gone too far for me. Apple has gone through a ton of OS updates since OS X. Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Tabby Cat…enough about Windows 7.
- Video Professor. Thanks for ripping off one of my friends. We’ll talk more about these guys at a later date. Safe to say, be very careful.
- Mafia Wars. Enough people. You know who you are.
- Deregulated electricity. I am so tired of being overcharged for electricity.
- Companies who insist on you being “in the office.” It is almost 2010, and I am incredibly adept at working from my home office. No commute, no fossil fuels, 2 more hours a day that I can work. I am happy, effective, and everywhere.
- Facebook tweaks. I like your service; please stop messing with it.
- People who don’t respond to email. Not responding with at least an “I’ll get back soon” or “I’m working on it” is just rude.
- The NFL for continuing to kill individuality. I no longer watch NFL games.
- Sammy Sosa. No explanation necessary.
- Just about all TV shows except for Curb Your Enthusiasm, Storm Chasers, English Premiere League Soccer, Survivorman, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and anything on history.
- Whatever keeps me from playing golf. How did I go another year playing less than 5 times?
- Facebook “gifts.” Just an FYI. I hide every single application that sends me bling, flowers, fish, tommy guns, energy, horoscopes, thoughts, quizzes, or anything else. There, I said it.
I know you have some turkeys of your own. Go ahead, don’t be shy. Fill out that comment box below and make those turkeys famous.