I just landed in Austin after a short flight that has sapped all of my patience reserves. I’ve observed things tonight that I just don’t understand. There are simple rules in place in society that are honestly pretty easy to follow. Why do some of us have so much trouble just playing nice with others.? You see this all the time, and it seems to be much more prevalent today. People seem to get a kick out of bucking “the man” or something. What other explanation is there for the lack of respect for personal space, our fellow humans, and simple rules and regulations that are meant to keep some semblance of order.
Here in no particular order are some of the things that drove me NUTS tonight.
- Dumb Airport Security Guy – I had to stand in the security line at DFW for an extra 15 minutes for this guy. My bag was packed exactly like it should be for any veteran traveler. Of course it didn’t leave the X-Ray machine while I witnessed the following. Machine stop for several minutes while they called over a TSA member. Dumb guy’s backpack comes out and is opened. He has 4, yes FOUR large bottles of hair products or something made of liquid. They all ran about 20 ounces. He is SHOCKED that these can’t come through. Then his computer is also in his bag. FYI, he also tried to come through with shoes. I loved the TSA guys line. “Sir, look around at EVERYONE else. Notice anything”? He is clueless and continues to try and argue about this. I don’t care if you have never been on an airplane before. There are only 100 signs around explaining the process. Have you watched the news once in the last 10 years? IDIOT. You should be banned from flying.
- The Impatient No Personal Space Woman – I am on the jetbridge waiting to board my flight, and this woman behind me decides she has to ride in my back pocket. She could not have been any closer as she jockeyed for position trying to get around me. Where the hell do you think you are going? Then we get on the plane and I watch her set up a camp in the middle of the aisle. She stands there forever acting like she just spaced out. She takes several minutes to put her carry-on in the overhead bin, being very careful not to let ANYONE pass by her. She is then clearly put out when her aisle mates expect her to actually stand up so they can take their seats.
- Ipod Guy – The guy sitting beside me plops down in his window seat and starts in with the Ipod. Fine, I get it while the flight is boarding. We start to taxi away, and he keeps it on. The flight attendant asks him to turn it off, he blanks the screen (not actually turning it off) and then starts a cat and mouse game to not be discovered. The same thing happens on descent. What is the deal that you can’t turn off the freaking music for 10 minutes. The Ipod thing actually bothers me in lots of situations. I like music as much as the next person, but don’t understand why you need it 24/7. BTW, there’s a reason they ask you to turn off the phone even if you think the rule is lame.
- Why in a supposed international airport like Austin is every place that sells food closed at 7:30?
- Why do elevators have a close door button if it doesn’t do anything?
- How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
That’s all I’ve got to say about that.