I am lucky enough in my life to have had the opportunity to travel pretty extensively. I love to see the world and my favorite travel activity is to make sure things are actually there. I know that it sounds strange, but there’s nothing more exciting to me than to actually file something on my own memory card that I have seen in pictures throughout my life. For me that is what travel is all about, the verification that things are what you think they were.
One of my favorite places in the world is Paris. This is a place that I never thought I would feel an attachment with the first time I was there. Paris can be intimidating to a first timer. We arrived via the Eurostar and tried to navigate via the RER train. It was crowded, smelly, and a little scary. You are dealing with a foreign language and a pre-conceived notion of the French attitude toward Americans. It was tough to get rolling. That first trip was fun once we got rolling, but it is hard to scratch the surface of what makes Paris.
In subsequent visits Paris has become much easier. You don’t worry about how to get around or how to order dinner. Once you understand the basics you begin to discover the things that make the city magical.
Here are 10 of my favorite things about Paris.
- Walking – Paris is a great city to get out and walk. You never know what’s going to be around the next corner.
- People Watching – The best people watching in the world.
- Landmarks – Per capita, more recognizable landmarks than just about anywhere else.
- The French – In all my travels, the French have been the friendliest, hands down.
- The Metro – Very easy to get around in Paris.
- Riding in an Open-Top Bus – A very touristy but great way to relax during the day.
- Architecture – Just about every building in Paris has something that will impress you if you look.
- Notre Dame – The back of the cathedral is stunning. Don’t miss it.
- Dessert – Incredible pastries.
- Art – My favorite the Musee D’Orsay